Flemish painting and De Jonckheere Gallery's old master paintings
Signed and dated Carl Ruthart, 1686.
• Amsler and Ruthart Collection up until 1872;
• R. Zschille Collection during the 1870s;
• Cichlar Collection, Vienna;
• Sale at Hüneburg...read more
Danzig c. 1630 – Aquila after 1703
Born the Holy Roman Empire of the German Nation, Carl Borromäus Andreas Ruthart travelled to Italy very early on. His trace can be found in Rome and Venice between 1652 and 1659. After finishing his apprenticeship, he came to work in Antwerp in order to perfect his knowledge.
A master in the Antwerp guild of painters in 1664, Ruthart took advantage of his renown to accept work across the whole of Europe. This took him to Regensburg, then probably to Graz and Styria. After 1672, he took the decision to return permanently to Italy and take holy orders to become a Celestine monk at the convent of Saint Eusebius in Rome.
After going into the Church, he continued to paint a great number of profane subjects such as extensive hunting scenes or animals fighting. It was only late in life, after retiring to a convent in the Abruzzo region, that Ruthart dedicated himself to celebrating the life of hermits and saints at prayer.
He is indisputably considered to be one of the best animal painters of the 17th century.